Sunday, May 14, 2017

Don't Judge Me






Don't Stand So Close To Me by The Police

Released in January of 1981, this was the first single from their third album. It reached #10 on the US charts and was a big hit for the band. The song deals with an infatuation between a teacher and a female student (which we all know is wrong and inappropriate) and its possible outcome. Prior to being a world famous musician, Sting, the lead singer, main songwriter and bassist for the band, was a school teacher (he says the song is not autobiographical, just mental role playing).

The song is my favorite Police song but not because of the lyrics. It just so happens to be the song I lost my virginity to. The girl I was dating at the time was a huge Police fan and she had a mix tape of all Police songs. This was the song that was playing when IT happened. Yes, the song is only 4 minutes long. Give me a break, I was 15. I'm lucky to have made it that long. I'm also lucky that it wasn't the very next song on her mix tape: When The World Is Running Down, You Make The Best Of What's Still Around. A bit tougher subject matter. At least this song was sorta about what we were doing (we were both 15 at the time).

The video has always been a classic. Sting reprises his role as a teacher. Drummer, Stewart Copeland, is smoking in the classroom. Sting is wearing a t-shirt from the band The Beat! (known in the US as The English Beat!) and that was cool. Stewart is throwing paper at the teacher (he's naughty) and later in the song, Sting takes off his shirt and coat while grading papers......not sure what that's about but it gets a nice reaction from guitarist, Andy Summers.

Please enjoy and don't picture me having awkward, first time sex.


No comments:

Post a Comment