Sunday, November 2, 2014

The Best John Hughes Film You've Never Seen.



Some Kind Of Wonderful

This 1987 film starred Eric Stoltz, Lea Thompson and Mary Stuart Masterson. Its one of those films that somehow slipped through the cracks....well, not mine, but a lot of people never saw this film (which is a shame) but in this day of instant, no-wait, see-it-when-ya-want-to entertainment world, you can see this film.....right after I tell you how great it is.

This film has a few of the typical John Hughes characters: Hardy Jenns (played by Craig Sheffer)


He just looks like the school jerk....and he was. He's dating Amanda Jones (cue Rolling Stones song she was named after) (played by Lea Thompson) but they just broke up and to make Hardy jealous, she agrees to go out on a date with Keith (played by Eric Stoltz). Keith is not a cool guy and not in Amanda's league, which his tomboy best friend, Watts (played by Mary Stuart Masterson) tells him more than a few times.....but (spoiler alert) Watts really is in love with Keith.

Along the way, Keith befriends the tough-guy punk, Duncan (played by Elias Koteas)


Its Duncan that steals this film for me. He reminds me of someone I knew that befriended me back in school but once again, I digress. This is the character that shows you that you really can't judge a book by its cover. Trust me, you'll love this guy by the end of the film.

Now, you can't have a John Hughes film without great music and this one has fantastic music. The best song in this film is the background of the most pivotal scene of the film.....the first kiss. The song plays through out the whole scene but it really drives the turning point of the scene and the movie when you realize the relationship between Keith and Watts is much more complicated than we all suspected.

Watch and enjoy the great song and the little piece of the film to spark you interest in this unsung great film.





3 comments:

  1. ....and most of the extras were high school students from the RUHS drama department, band, and dance team.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. They were indeed. I knew a few of them having gone to RUHS myself.

      Delete
  2. I am in total admiration or her slick trickery in this scene and the song is the ultimate accompaniment and though I love it, I can't recall ever hearing it on the radio, just in this movie that I've seen so so many times

    ReplyDelete